Training and authorizations required to become a VTC driver

It's not enough to have a driving license and a car to become a VTC driver and earn a living driving people from point A to point B. With the advent of private chauffeur platforms (Uber, etc.), this activity has been reformed, first by the Thévenoud law in 2014, then a second time by the Grandguillaume law in 2018. Here's all the information you need to have in mind when embarking on the VTC adventure.

First step: becoming a VTC driver

VTC training and examination

To become a VTC driver, you must first obtain a VTC card. To do this, you'll need to pass a specific exam lasting 3h50 and comprising 7 tests on : + transport regulations + road safety + business management + understanding of French and English + business development + national VTC regulations.

The exam takes the form of MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions) and SQRs (Short Answer Questions), depending on the test. You can sit the exam on your own. However, it is advisable to attend a training course at an accredited center to ensure that you are properly prepared for the various modules.

Please note: since the Grandguillaume law came into force, this examination is no longer held at the Préfecture, but at the Chambre des Métiers de l'Artisanat (CMA).

Obtaining a VTC card

Once you've passed your exam, you need to apply in writing for your VTC professional card from the prefecture of your department, or from the police prefecture if you live in Paris. Your card will be issued within 3 months. Please note that to obtain your card, it is not enough to pass the VTC exam. You must also meet the following conditions: + have held a "B" driving license for more than 3 years (or more than 2 years in the case of accompanied driving) + have completed the "Prevention and Civic Aid Level 1" (PSC1) course within the last two years + pass a medical examination.

In addition, before issuing your VTC professional card, the prefecture will also check that you have not been subject to certain convictions such as: + reduction of half the points on your driving license + driving without a license + a sentence of at least 6 months in prison

Second step: setting up your business

Setting up a transport company

Once you've obtained your VTC card, you'll need to set up your own business and choose a legal status. You are free to opt for a sole proprietorship (microentreprise, EI or EIRL) or a one-person company (SASU, EURL).

Autoentrepreneur status can be interesting at the outset, as it allows you to get started without too many constraints. However, it is generally no longer suitable once your business has developed. Indeed, the microentrepreneur status implies a sales limit that can put a brake on your development. Above all, this status does not allow you to deduct professional expenses from sales, even though these can be significant for a VTC driver (gas, car rental, social security contributions, etc.).

This explains why most private chauffeurs choose a corporate status, most often a SASU. The VTC business is a craft. It therefore falls under the jurisdiction of the CMA, with which you must also be registered if you wish to operate within the rules.

Obtaining your VTC license

Once your company has been set up, you then need to complete the procedure for obtaining your VTC license before you can start trading. All you have to do is register with the VTC registry, either by post or online on the Ministry of Transport website.

To register as a VTC, you'll need to provide the following items: + a certificate of Professional Civil Liability (RC Pro) + a copy of the company's registration document (K-Bis extract for companies or SIRENE register notice for self-employed drivers) + a copy of the vehicle registration document for the vehicle you will be using for your business + a copy of both sides of your VTC professional card + proof of financial standing of at least €1,500, unless you own the vehicle or are a long-term lessee (vehicle leasing contract of more than 6 months). In the case of a company, a share capital of €1,500 can be used as proof of financial standing.

Registration on the VTC register costs €170 and must be renewed every 5 years. Once registered, it will take about a month to receive your certificate with your registration number. You can then complete and print the red VTC driver badge, and affix it to the front and rear of your vehicle before starting your business.

Every 5 years, VTC drivers are required to complete a minimum 14-hour training course at an approved training center.

Can you become a VTC with a "capacitaire de transport" status?

Some drivers are not registered as VTCs, but as "capacitaires de transport". These two statuses are in fact very different, and cannot legally be substituted for one another.

An attestation de capacitaire de transport enables you to provide regular transport, such as school transport, as well as transport on request for groups. This is not the same activity as that of a VTC driver.

To clarify this point, the Grandguillaume law, which came into force in January 2018, prohibits VTC activity for capacitaires in conurbations with more than 100,000 inhabitants and/or in vehicles with fewer than 10 seats.

You now have all the information you need to take the plunge and become a private chauffeur. Finally, you should know that even as a self-employed driver, you are obliged to open a specific account for your VTC chauffeur activity. If you use a platform such as Uber and are paid by transfer from the platform, an account in a neobank such asAnytime will be a simple and secure solution for managing your business finances.

These articles may be of interest to you