Urssaf helps companies cope with rising energy prices

Soaring gas and electricity prices are jeopardizing the health of many businesses at the moment. We're talking about the catastrophic situation in which bakers find themselves, but other VSEs and SMEs are suffering the same fate. Faced with these difficulties, the government is reacting by introducing a series of support measures, subject to certain conditions. For its part, Urssaf is also helping companies to cope with rising energy prices by granting payment deadlines. Here's a close-up look at the solutions being proposed to get out of this crisis.

For employers

All employers encountering difficulties in paying their contributions have the possibility of requesting a deferment of payment or, if they are already covered by a payment plan, an adjustment of the amount due.

The request must be made online in the personal space. You will, of course, need to explain the reasons for your difficulties and be up to date with your employee contributions.

A payment extension can also be requested in anticipation of future worries about paying the next instalments due.


For the self-employed

The self-employed can also use their online account to ask their Urssaf tostop deducting current contributions or contributions subject to a payment plan. New payment deadlines will then be granted.

In addition, assistance from the social action of the Conseil de la Protection Sociale des Travailleurs Indépendants (CPSTI) can be provided through Urssaf. This involves financial assistance or financing of debts for contributions and even future payments.

What is CPSTI?

The CPSTI was set up to support self-employed workers who encounter problems linked to their health, a claim or, as is the case today, a difficult economic situation.

To qualify for assistance, company directors must submit an application to Urssaf. After examining the application, the social action commission of the regional PSTI body in the company's place of residence will make a decision.

Assistance for contributors in difficulty (ACED) consists of full or partial payment of personal social security contributions. To qualify for ACED, you must have been self-employed for more than a year (in a traditional sole proprietorship or micro-enterprise), and have already paid social security contributions.

Tax deferral

In addition to social security contributions, VSEs and SMEs can obtain deferred payment of taxes, excluding VAT, if they are experiencing temporary cash-flow problems.


Assistance for paying energy bills in 2023

After negotiations, the French Minister of the Economy, Bruno Lemaire, has obtained a commitment from electricity suppliers that they will not charge VSEs more than €280/MWh on average. To obtain this rate, VSEs must complete an attestation indicating their willingness to renegotiate their electricity contract.

The Tariff Shield is a measure designed to keep electricity price rises to a maximum of 15%. This measure applies to companies with fewer than 10 employees, sales of less than two million euros and an electricity meter with a rating of less than 36 kVA.

TheElectricity Buffer is aimed at companies with between 10 and 250 employees and a meter rating of over 36 kVA. If the company is eligible, 20% of its electricity bill can be covered.

Lastly, the "guichet d'aide", which can be combined with the "amortisseur électricité", is aimed at small and medium-sized businesses whose energy expenditure represented more than 3% of their sales in 2021. Their electricity bill must also have increased by more than 50% compared with the 2021 rate.